Wednesday 29 July 2009

Writer's block

Upon complaining to my friends today that I was struggling for a topic for my latest entry, I was challenged to write about chips.

"Which kind?", I replied, "potato-based or poker?"

"BOTH!" came the reply.

I wonder where chips (the edible kind) came from originally. I remember reading (or seeing) in an Asterix book some years ago one of the characters (Getafix?) boiling chipped root vegetables in hot oil in a cauldron. Does this mean French Fries are the origin? Oh dear. One of our national dishes is a French import. Sacre bleu!

Anyway. I like chips. Not so much without any condiment though. My main choices in this area are mayonnaise (Hellman's) and/or tomato ketchup (Daddies). I write 'and/or' because I'm not exactly averse to having a dollop of ketchup on one side of the plate and a dollop of mayonnaise on the other. But never a chip with both dressings together. What do you take me for?!

I have also been known to crave salt and vinegar on chips, but not often. Acid reflux and dehydration after-effects make those additions less appealing. (And the blood pressure! Don't forget the blood pressure!)

While I'm at it, let's have a little preach too. If you have fish with your chips, try to go for less common types. Cod is being fished to the brink of the abyss, as is haddock to a lesser extent. Ever considered hake or plaice? Scrummy is an accurate description. Both are white fish like cod and haddock, and plaice in particular has a juicy, sweet taste.

Poker chips are another matter. I've not tried, but I doubt very much that they are palatable no matter how much ketchup, mayonnaise, vinegar or salt are ladled on. I find they are better suited for substituting cold, hard cash in games of poker. As their name would suggest.

I previously mentioned owning some poker chips myself. I do have a third, much nicer set which are smaller than regular chips and clay-based. Again, I've not tried eating those either.

I don't have much to add on the subject of poker chips. I'm sure that most truthful* of websites, Wikipedia, can sate your thirst for knowledge, though.

*To be taken with a pinch of salt. (But not too much – think of your blood pressure!)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, chips. Putting vinegar on them is tantamount to sacrilege though.

    ReplyDelete